Monday, August 9, 2010

Tamba: A truly eco way to avoid using toilet paper

Many people looking to lower the ecological impact of their lifestyle and those that just want to save money are turning to cloth wipes (also called family wipes) as an alternative to toilet paper.

I'm all for cloth wipes and use them myself, but the use of wet wipes for poo (along with a wipes warmer) seems a bit wasteful to me. There's a far easier, economical and more ecological way to get the job done and people have been doing it for centuries.

In Nigeria, some people refer to it as "tamba." It basically involves cleaning your bum with water after you poo. Here's the process: Fill a small bowl or watering can with water. After you poo, scoot your bum towards the edge of the toilet, so that you have some room behind you. Then put the bowl in your right hand and place it at the crack of your bum. Slowly poor the water and use your left hand to wash your bum (i.e. remove the poo).


It doesn't require electricity, soap or essential oils. It's a lot cheaper too and you'll feel really clean afterwards. I've never once had a problem with using my hand to wash--I just make sure that I wash my hands well with soap and warm water afterwards. It also eliminates the possibilty of staining the cloth wipes, which I use to dry.

This is what people do in a lot of other countries where toilet paper is too expensive or hard to find. Many muslims also do it as a part of their religiously prescribed hygiene practices.
 
Try it a few times until you get the hang of it. Once get accustomed to it, you'll become addicted to the fresh feeling that a wet cloth just can't provide.

No comments: