Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why I HATE the iPhone 3G

Okay, so I bought into the iPhone fanfare. The design and interface lured me into a 2 year contract with AT&T. But about a month later, now that I'm no longer hypnotised by the cool, bright icons and the touchscreen, I have a lot of griping to do:

  • $30 Unlimited Data Plan: Even if you just want the iPhone to use just as phone (and maybe a calendar and alarm clock), you can't. You are required to pay an extra $30 a month for unlimited data over the supposedly fast 3G network. 3G is incredibly slow or all together absent, so you're likely to have better luck finding a random wifi network. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this so-called "data" plan doesn't include a very familiar type of mobile phone data: texting. That'll cost you at least another $5.99 a month!
  • iTunes: If you thought, as I did, that you could simply add applications to your iPhone by connecting to the internet, think again. You must have an account with iTunes and use it to download applications to your iPhone through your PC. Doesn't this seem like a waste of time, hard drive space and mobile internet access to you?
  • Flashy Interface: This is another feature that will slow you down. Sure, it looks nice to see pages on your iPhone fade in and out like a well-made PowerPoint presentation, but it means more steps for you. It'll more time for you to access your key pad to dial a number and view your contacts. In an emergency, the iPhone will take up to six steps to dial 911.
  • Poor Battery Life: Even if you just use your iPhone for occasional phone calls as I do, you'll have to charge your phone every single day. I can't imagine using my phone as an iPod, video viewer, and internet browser as the makers intended--I'd have to keep a charger at home, work, in my car and at my best buddy's house!
  • Cumbersome Shape: When you look at the iPhone, there can be no doubt that the creators spend a lot of time designing it. But if you ever hold an iPhone in your hand, you'll notice how awkward it is. Try holding it up to your ear during a long conversation. It's boxy shape feels like having a book pressed to your ear.
  • Low Volume & Poor Speakers: Speaking of good conversations, have you ever noticed that the sound quality on the iPhone sucks? The volume level is very low for anyone that doesn't have bionic hearing or doesn't talk while on a stroll in a city. The speakerphone and finger volumes are just as wimpy.
  • Spotty Service & Dropped Phone Calls: Before getting the iPhone, I would brag to others about how great AT&T service was. Now, I don't have service in places where I used to and it's not uncommon for calls to drop in mid conversation. Without service, the phone can't fulfill its main function: making phone calls!

As my complaints mount, I'll continue to update this post. In the meantime, don't just buy a phone for looks or you may end up broke and disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Upgrade your iPhone's firmware to the latest firmware available - 2.0.2 - and that should resolve most of ulyour complaints. Regarding text messaging, shouldn't that be included in your month rate phone plan. I have had my iPhone (the original version 2G) for over a year and have some small qualms - most of which I've been able to resolve through a software update or other work arounds. Sounds like you need the Tiffster to get you back up to speed with your iPhone. I'll call you to discuss. : )